It's a War on War
Mmmm, can you smell the napalm?
War is in the air, for sure. We spent two of my class periods just discussing Iraq today.
I don't know the answer to this issue; it's infinitely complex with more causes and inevitable effects than any of us (except NYTimes' Thomas Friedman) understand. Yet the old, simplified political lines remain: the right supports and the left opposes. It seems like, at the this time, people shouldn't base their decisions on subjectivity, but search out for the facts. It seems like the American public is being worn down by this; support for the war grows because it feels like it's been pushed on us for so long it's almost seeming inevitable and unbeatable. Maybe we should tell the government what they tell girls to do in sex ed: "NO means NO!"
Am I opposed to the war just because I don't want to be associated with the people who support it, the kind of people who want to remove the "French" from "french fries"?
After APUS, I can't blindly assume that the US is doing this for honest, non-economic reasons. It seems like this is a great opportunity to spot and reveal the underhandedness of US foreign policy.
I just have the feeling that there are going to be a lot of people dead by the end of the week, and none of them are named Osama.
Mmmm, can you smell the napalm?
War is in the air, for sure. We spent two of my class periods just discussing Iraq today.
I don't know the answer to this issue; it's infinitely complex with more causes and inevitable effects than any of us (except NYTimes' Thomas Friedman) understand. Yet the old, simplified political lines remain: the right supports and the left opposes. It seems like, at the this time, people shouldn't base their decisions on subjectivity, but search out for the facts. It seems like the American public is being worn down by this; support for the war grows because it feels like it's been pushed on us for so long it's almost seeming inevitable and unbeatable. Maybe we should tell the government what they tell girls to do in sex ed: "NO means NO!"
Am I opposed to the war just because I don't want to be associated with the people who support it, the kind of people who want to remove the "French" from "french fries"?
After APUS, I can't blindly assume that the US is doing this for honest, non-economic reasons. It seems like this is a great opportunity to spot and reveal the underhandedness of US foreign policy.
I just have the feeling that there are going to be a lot of people dead by the end of the week, and none of them are named Osama.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home