Friday, January 10, 2003

So I finally got to make my family watch Fellowship of the Ring. We watched in two parts, ending at Rivendell on Sunday night and finishing it off tonight. My dad and my sister fell asleep both times. My mom stayed awake, and I think she liked it, but I could tell she was getting bored near the end. They tended to talk during what were supposed to be pivotal, emotional scenes. My sister kept obnoxiously asking if Aragorn was a hobbit or Frodo was Bilbo. Everytime a character made an allusion to "Isengard," or "the Gap of Rohan," or "Minas Tirith," I could feel their attention slipping as they felt more and more alienated by the obscure language.

My parents are very nice, compassionate, understanding, and sometimes fun people. But they just have no interest in books, or movies, or theater. It's amazing how we watch the same movie, and I can see such an amazing work of art and cinema and acting, and all they see is a long, boring, high-minded fantasy flick. I don't like to feel different from my family, but I feel like I'm growing apart from them each day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home