Saturday, December 28, 2002

The Wrap-Up

It'll be very strange when we start to measure time by actual years instead of by school grades. This is the first time I've ever picked out a year as an identifiable entity, but I can say without hesitation that 2002 was one doozy of a year. When I came back to school in January, I know I was not the same person I was when I left in December 2001. Seriously, Fall Junior Drew and Spring Junior Drew are just as different as the latter is to Fall Senior Drew. Quite honestly, I can't decide which was better.

How curious that we can take two ends of a year, tie them together, and make a kind of sack full of experiences out of it. It's almost like a trash bag that you can pitch. I used to think I had it bad, but I've definitely experienced more hurt, sadness, and rejection in 2002 than in any other year. The stuff I've been dragged through this year has been more than enough to sever my ties to my innocent, romantic childhood. I'd be very willing to just throw 2002 out with the trash if there weren't some really good stuff mixed in with all that crap. How can a year that has been so bad be so, so good?

I assume that all the negative will eventually turn into positive via "building my character" or "making me stronger." Right now, though, I'm in no position to view it optimistically. I could really, really, go for a good 2003. I've earned it, haven't I?

Haven't I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home