So here's some good news: after months of avoision (is that a word, mister SAT II examiner?), I finally opened that UGA application. And lo and behold, the deadline for regular admission is February 1. This means, boys and girls, that I don't have to worry about applying to Georgia until I hear back from Chicago on the 15th, where as, before, I thought I had to complete my application ahead of time to get it in by a January 1 deadline.
Of course, Murphy's Law states that I will not get into Chicago, and I'll have to apply to UGA anyway, and Yale/Northwestern/Bowdoin will reject me, and I'll be stuck in regular UGA sans honors program/founding fellowship. Or, maybe I won't get into college at all.
Since I like to keep my horizons in sight, let's look at some possibilities to explore if I decide to forego my college education:
1) Military. "I said, 'Sergeant, you're askin' me if I'm moral enough to go over and drop bombs and burn villages and kill women and children?' and the Seargant said, 'Kid, we don't like your kind.'" But if I survive, just think of what a great book it would make! Or a great comic strip like Beetle Bailey!
2) Hobo. I'm reading a book on hobos now, actually. It might not be so bad being a migrant worker for a while, hopping boxcars, but what would I say on my spring transfer application to Swarthmore?
3) Viva la Kerouac. Take all the money I can scrounge up and embark on a pointless cross-country car voyage whereupon I visit drunken, sad-sack half-poets that get quoted on Bethany's blog and end up writing a novel on toilet paper that is mistaken for literature by dreamy high-schoolers and Swarthmore students worldwide!
4) Work for The Muppets. I actually just thought of this, and it wouldn't be too bad... I don't know what kind of higher-education credentials Henson is looking for, but I figure I can wrangle a Kermit puppet and go in for an audition. Did you know Aniele's brother is auditioning for Children's Television Workshop? How cool is that??
5) Become manager for Thomas's dad's Senate race, J-2004. I think his political party would be called The Only Thing That Knows More Than Me Is The Bible, And Not Even That Sometimes Party.
6) Traipse across Europe, staying at Youth Hostels. I'd borrow Ms. Serkedakis's "Europe on $2 a Day" from 1964, and yell at French people about Euros the whole time.
7) Stand outside classrooms at Georgia Souther, begging for scraps of education. Or better yet, Swarthmore.
8) Live with my family for another year, not wanting to leave the house for the incredible shame of not being worthy of advancing to the next stage in life.
All in all, I think #2's working out the best, don't you think?
Of course, Murphy's Law states that I will not get into Chicago, and I'll have to apply to UGA anyway, and Yale/Northwestern/Bowdoin will reject me, and I'll be stuck in regular UGA sans honors program/founding fellowship. Or, maybe I won't get into college at all.
Since I like to keep my horizons in sight, let's look at some possibilities to explore if I decide to forego my college education:
1) Military. "I said, 'Sergeant, you're askin' me if I'm moral enough to go over and drop bombs and burn villages and kill women and children?' and the Seargant said, 'Kid, we don't like your kind.'" But if I survive, just think of what a great book it would make! Or a great comic strip like Beetle Bailey!
2) Hobo. I'm reading a book on hobos now, actually. It might not be so bad being a migrant worker for a while, hopping boxcars, but what would I say on my spring transfer application to Swarthmore?
3) Viva la Kerouac. Take all the money I can scrounge up and embark on a pointless cross-country car voyage whereupon I visit drunken, sad-sack half-poets that get quoted on Bethany's blog and end up writing a novel on toilet paper that is mistaken for literature by dreamy high-schoolers and Swarthmore students worldwide!
4) Work for The Muppets. I actually just thought of this, and it wouldn't be too bad... I don't know what kind of higher-education credentials Henson is looking for, but I figure I can wrangle a Kermit puppet and go in for an audition. Did you know Aniele's brother is auditioning for Children's Television Workshop? How cool is that??
5) Become manager for Thomas's dad's Senate race, J-2004. I think his political party would be called The Only Thing That Knows More Than Me Is The Bible, And Not Even That Sometimes Party.
6) Traipse across Europe, staying at Youth Hostels. I'd borrow Ms. Serkedakis's "Europe on $2 a Day" from 1964, and yell at French people about Euros the whole time.
7) Stand outside classrooms at Georgia Souther, begging for scraps of education. Or better yet, Swarthmore.
8) Live with my family for another year, not wanting to leave the house for the incredible shame of not being worthy of advancing to the next stage in life.
All in all, I think #2's working out the best, don't you think?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home