Another week of stress, work, fun, romance, laughter, adventure, and horror, all in the Life of Drew.
College applications: Yale, Northwestern, and Bowdoin were successfully sent out, each with essays of various degrees of quality. I've noticed that writing these applications forces you to really take stock of not only what you've accomplished but who you are. It's a good exerciseto some degree, but it ultimately bogs you down. Increasingly, I'm seeing introspection as something that can be seriously detrimental to your health.
I also highly recommend the movie Bowling for Columbine, now playing at the Tara Cinemas, the location of the freakiest left turn across a four-lane highway in the metro Atlanta area. In fact, I think everyone in America should be required to watch this movie and see what kind of paranoid schizos we Americans truly are. "After the break: a local mother is bitten by a poisonous snake. Is your family next?" Hilarious. If people want to see an indie movie, they should watch this instead of that tripe dubbed "My Big Fat Greek Wedding."
I was thinking about the message in Bowling for Columbine as my mother was lecturing me on my curfew, after I came home at 1:15 last night. I'm really very good about returning home on time, not because I want to suck up to my parents or anything, but because my mom gets so scared when I'm not home on time. She's incredibly paranoid about me getting in a car accident: not out of irresponsibility on my part, but because of any number of "drunken, tired drivers, or people who could be fleeing the scene of a crime..." I began to wonder how much she really needed to be worried about that kind of stuff, or if it's just because of the fear instilled by politicians and the local news in our culture. Anyway, I'd almost prefer that she get mad at me for lateness because I broke the rules instead of indirectly making me feel guilty. I can't very well be rebellious if everything I do wrong makes my mother cry. Sigh. Maybe I'm just way too sympathetic and understanding of my parents than I should be at this age.
College applications: Yale, Northwestern, and Bowdoin were successfully sent out, each with essays of various degrees of quality. I've noticed that writing these applications forces you to really take stock of not only what you've accomplished but who you are. It's a good exerciseto some degree, but it ultimately bogs you down. Increasingly, I'm seeing introspection as something that can be seriously detrimental to your health.
I also highly recommend the movie Bowling for Columbine, now playing at the Tara Cinemas, the location of the freakiest left turn across a four-lane highway in the metro Atlanta area. In fact, I think everyone in America should be required to watch this movie and see what kind of paranoid schizos we Americans truly are. "After the break: a local mother is bitten by a poisonous snake. Is your family next?" Hilarious. If people want to see an indie movie, they should watch this instead of that tripe dubbed "My Big Fat Greek Wedding."
I was thinking about the message in Bowling for Columbine as my mother was lecturing me on my curfew, after I came home at 1:15 last night. I'm really very good about returning home on time, not because I want to suck up to my parents or anything, but because my mom gets so scared when I'm not home on time. She's incredibly paranoid about me getting in a car accident: not out of irresponsibility on my part, but because of any number of "drunken, tired drivers, or people who could be fleeing the scene of a crime..." I began to wonder how much she really needed to be worried about that kind of stuff, or if it's just because of the fear instilled by politicians and the local news in our culture. Anyway, I'd almost prefer that she get mad at me for lateness because I broke the rules instead of indirectly making me feel guilty. I can't very well be rebellious if everything I do wrong makes my mother cry. Sigh. Maybe I'm just way too sympathetic and understanding of my parents than I should be at this age.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home