Monday, December 09, 2002

And We All Shine On



Yesterday was the anniversary of John Lennon's murder on the sidewalks outside the Dakota hotel. I visited there once on a trip to New York City. Very moving.

Kristen's going to hate me for saying this, but John Lennon really isn't my favorite Beatle. It's not George, although I think he was the most well-rounded and amiable of them all. It's certainly not Ringo, though there is a certain fondness I hold for Ringo, just because I like the fact that he was this non-sequiter, funny guy in the middle of a music revolution. You can tell in pictures that Ringo doesn't really feel inferior to these guys, he's just in awe of their talent, and he's having a blast just being a part of it. No, my favorite is Paul McCartney. I know that's a typical whitebread adolescent girl response, but he's my favorite because I feel the most similar to him. John Lennon's music is very hard, rough, and stripped. Paul's music is light, melodic, and very sentimental: see Hey Jude, Yesterday, I Will... Like me, Paul seems to live in a very nostalgic past all the time. Outside the studio, John exuded a kind of "bad boy" image that later translated into a kind of confrontational push for peace and love. I get the feeling that John's "make love, not war" image was a little bit too much of that, an image, however romantic and inspiring it was. Paul is, in fact, far more of a romantic than John ever was. Don't get me wrong, John Lennon is one of the most important musicians of our time... I just prefer Paul as an artist.

In my opinion, they're both equally talented, and neither of them was ever as good in their solo careers as they were when they were collaborating together. That's what makes some of those songs like "A Day in the Life" so layered and volatile and dynamic: they were created by two totally opposite mentalities.


So I went over to Nedra's this afternoon to film my cameo in Chad and Jason's Star Wars Hamlet. It was really fun, and it made me miss those exciting days when we filmed "Hound of the Baskervilles" and "New Orleans Blues" and "Psycho".... my God, "Psycho." When we were filming those, it felt like I was firing on every single one of my creative cylinders, something I haven't felt in a long time. Daniel and John, we really have to make one final movie this spring. Let's finish a script this Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home