Monday, November 25, 2002

Wow, last night was incredible. I think that's one of the greatest concerts I've ever been to. All three bands were great, and the Tabernacle is just such a great venue. Jimmy Fallon was highly entertaining. His band isn't all that great, except for a punk version of "This Land is Your Land," but he did about 10 minutes of straight stand-up comedy, centered around doing impressions of celebrities advertising for troll dolls. He did John Travolta, "Cliff" from Cheers, and Adam Sandler, and sang as Dave Matthews, George Michael, Michael Stipe from R.E.M., Bono from U2, and a really spectacular Alanis Morrissette. Oh, and Coldplay ("I bought a troll; I bought a troll for you; the one you wanted was blue; but all they had was yellow). The Strokes were entertaining as well, although Julian (the lead singer) is a complete asshole. We waited an hour after Jimmy Fallon for them to come on, because he was either late or passed out in back, and then he just slurred obsenities at us between songs. It looked like the rest of the band was trying their best just to keep him standing up.
Personally, I think the best part of the evening was the opening band, called The Mooney Suzuki. It was four guys in all black, looking kind of "Hives"-ish, the lead looking like a sun-glassed Ben Stiller raised by punks, the bassist like Tom Everett Scott, and the drummer looking like, um, a potbellied Carrot Top wearing an ascot. When the latter came out at the beginning, stood on his drum set, and struck a Saturday Night Fever/Mick Jagger pose, I think we all realized we were in for something special. These guys were the most energetic band you've ever seen, and they looked like they were having the most fun. They had the whole synchronized jumping thing going on, they climbed on top of speakers, played in the audience... you could tell they'd worked really hard to make their act entertaining. The leads little monologues were great, too:

"I want to ask you a question! Do you know what powers the bus that got us here? Do you know what powers the lights above our heads? It's all thanks to electricity! Who do we have to thank for that? What's that, I heard Ben Franklin? Let's give a big shout out to Mr. Ben Franklin for discovering electricity! What's that? I heard Thomas Edison? That's right! Thank you Mr. Edison, for inventing the light bulb to light our stage! Now, some of you might be surprised to find out that The Mooney Suzuki didn't invent the light bulb. The Mooney Suzuki didn't even invent the electric guitar! But tonight, we're all gonna create a little electricity here! How would you like that? You know, wherever we go, people say that we're the saviors of rock n' roll! That we're bringing it back! Sometimes people ask us in the gas stations, Mooney Suzuki, can you save rock n' roll? And we say... ma'am... sir... sweet child....... The Mooney Suzuki cannot save rock n' roll. [at this point the audience let's out a big "awww...."] Do you know... why... The Mooney Suzuki can't save rock n' roll? Because THE MOONEY SUZUKI NEVER LOST IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!"

The second greatest part of the night was Bethany shoving 6'3" guys out of her way so that she sould see the show. She made a lot of friends that night.

I got my SAT II scores back. Good and bad. US History was 750, which was nice, because it proves I still remember all that without studying. Math IIC was a 720, which was nice too, becasue IIC is awfully difficult. The Writing was a major shock, though... I'll just say I didn't get what I expected. I must've missed a column of bubbles or something. I don't think it'll seriously impact my application... hopefully. I don't know what it is, I can write grammatically well in essays, but I just can't take grammar tests.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home