Tuesday, November 05, 2002

So after the SAT II's on Saturday, I ended up going to the One Act Competition at Milton for lack of anything better to do. Actually, I think I had a hankering for some Daniel Glenn; but he was being bitch-slapped in Centennial's dressing room, so I hung around with and annoyed the Elephant Man cast for 5 hours. That was a lot of fun, and they put on an awesome show. They deserved that first place award. I was less impressed by Etowah's production of The Fantasticks. They put it on fairly well, but it felt like it belonged in a middle school assembly (outside the language). It's the kind of play that turns most high school kids off to theater, including me.
But guess who showed up? Hammad Ahmed! That made my week, I talked to him for a long time. He's applying to Stanford and wants to go into Psychology or Environmental Engineering and help poor communities in third-world countries. He's incredibly altruistic these days. He recently launched some campaign against Chattahoochee's excessive use of paper. He also said something very interesting to me; something like, "You notice how we just talk about how things were, but not how things are? About how our perspectives on life have changed since middle school?"
I hope to see much more of Hammad this year.

Moving on, in last week's frenzy, I forgot to talk about a few things:

I took the kayak I got for my birfday out for the first time two sundays ago! It was a blast. I went out on Lake Windward, where all the autumn leaves are falling from the trees onto the roofs of darkly lit houses. It was a ll very picturesque. I love the feeling of being out on a smooth, glassy lake in a kayak... It's such a serene experience. Your every movement is picked up by the kayak, which makes it feel like you're some kind of kayak-centaur.

Have I mentioned enough recently how much I want to go to University of Chicago? God, I want it so bad it hurts. I sent the Early Action application off early last week...rushed my SAT scores by express mail just in case they didn't have them... my application was pretty good, but it didn't feel great. I don't think I painted the best picture of myself, or the most complete. I hope that doesn't affect my acceptance. I had an alumni interview last week, too... the guy was an attorney who only went to the Chicago Law School, not for undergrad. He also said that he didn't really have a lot of influence over the admissions decision, which kind of disappointed me. He was still very nice though, and I had some fun talking. But God, do I want to go to college there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home