Friday, November 01, 2002

A Long-Expected Party

Well, another Halloween has come and gone.

The party was a success, I think. I dressed up as the grim reaper, replacing Blake's usual role (he was at swim team), and led all the guests out to the backyard and into the basement. Then I put on the "Ring"-like video with me choking to death, and I busted out the old hairy wig-and-beard (this character I've created isn't going away, and you'll probably see me in ten years performing this on bad SNL skits) and brought myself back to life with the Magic Pelvis and chanting "Kate is wearing a mustard hat!" This probably sounds very strange to those of you who didn't make it, but to those of you who were there, you know what it was like. We watched Halloween and The Shining, the scariest movie ever, and I'm pumped that Aniele's reading the book now (you ALL have to read that book). I put on my Frodo Baggins costume, which so owned. It's one of those costumes that you just love wearing, I could've worn it to school... (or... Two Towers premiere?....)
Some of the other costume highlights included Mindy as "Partly Cloudy with a Chance of Showers," David's "Traffic Jam" (complete with Smucker's jar and stolen GA 400 sign) and his Bovine Bitches, Kristen as a geisha, Bethany as the Jewish mother, Daniel as Poulos ("Is this boy retarded?"), Nick and Sarah as Frankenstein and the Bride of Frankenstein (respectfully), and Sterling and Ian as the guys from the Boondock Saints which all of 5 people understood.

But the best costume, hands down, had to have been Jason Perlman as the Porno Movie Director. That looked eerie... eerily accurate. Expect pictures.

All in all, it was a super good time. And no matter how dismal or unspirited October seems to be, I can always get that same "Halloween high" on October 31st. As a romantic, I can always feel that there's something different in the air on Halloween.... that it really is a night where spooks and goblins can come out and walk the earth. I hope I never lose that feeling. Sometimes I feel like I could... it's a lot like, in that story Polar Express, where the kids can't hear Santa's sleigh bells anymore when they grow up. I used to wonder just how anyone could stop hearing that bell... but now, facing such a mature and bitter world, I can see how. I hope I never stop hearing the bell.

This afternoon, I started to take down the decorations from the party, but I stopped after 20 minutes. I just couldn't do it, I felt like crying. This is my last Halloween at home. For the next 4 years, I'll spend this day in a college dorm, surrounded by kids who, in all likelihood, will see Halloween merely as another reason to get drunk. I was taking down a paper skeleton when some of the tape ripped a tiny corner of it off, and I was filled with such incredible sadness. I thought about all the old Halloween decorations we've had since I was 3, and how they all have rips or dents in them that we've all forgotten how they came to be, and the finality of it. That little rip in the skeleton will be forgotten by everyone, even by me eventually. For me, Halloween is all about returning to childhood, and the fact that last night was the last real time I'll get to celebrate it saddens me so deeply.

Geez, I don't know how I'll ever leave home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home