Correct me if I'm wrong, but this had to have been one of the coolest parts of middle school:
Desktop Stores.
Seventh grade-- remember? Everyone was required to create a product, advertise for it, and sell it off our desks for three days in December. Our homeroom was named "Benedict's Bargains" (after our teacher Mrs. Benedict), and I was commissioned to draw a sign. I made it look like a rustic wooden sign, trimmed with garland and snow collecting on the top. Remember some of the stuff that people sold? I think Blake sold something like 'Mighty Muffins.' Thomas sold little 5 cent slips of paper with your fortune on it; stuff like "You will meet a chicken around the next corner." I bought a Christmas ornament made out of old CD's and a keychain with an Oscar Mayer weenie whistle, both of which I still have. I, myself, sold bookmarks. They were little strips of posterboard which I decorated with snowmen and dragons and Muppets. I decorated my desk with Christmas lights, and decked myself out in a cape, top hat, and wooden cane like I was peddling bookmarks on the snowy streets of London. I remember a lot of kids laughed at me and my product (I got a lot of perturbed looks from kids who would remark agrily, "I don't read books," as if the fact that I was selling bookmarks offended them. I would just smile back happily, in my top hat and big glasses, and say: "Too bad. You should."). I just had so much fun with that project, though. Do you WBMS kids remembe what you sold? It's really too bad we don't get to do that kind of stuff in high school.
Desktop Stores.
Seventh grade-- remember? Everyone was required to create a product, advertise for it, and sell it off our desks for three days in December. Our homeroom was named "Benedict's Bargains" (after our teacher Mrs. Benedict), and I was commissioned to draw a sign. I made it look like a rustic wooden sign, trimmed with garland and snow collecting on the top. Remember some of the stuff that people sold? I think Blake sold something like 'Mighty Muffins.' Thomas sold little 5 cent slips of paper with your fortune on it; stuff like "You will meet a chicken around the next corner." I bought a Christmas ornament made out of old CD's and a keychain with an Oscar Mayer weenie whistle, both of which I still have. I, myself, sold bookmarks. They were little strips of posterboard which I decorated with snowmen and dragons and Muppets. I decorated my desk with Christmas lights, and decked myself out in a cape, top hat, and wooden cane like I was peddling bookmarks on the snowy streets of London. I remember a lot of kids laughed at me and my product (I got a lot of perturbed looks from kids who would remark agrily, "I don't read books," as if the fact that I was selling bookmarks offended them. I would just smile back happily, in my top hat and big glasses, and say: "Too bad. You should."). I just had so much fun with that project, though. Do you WBMS kids remembe what you sold? It's really too bad we don't get to do that kind of stuff in high school.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home