You know those cheap cassette tapes you see in stores around Halloween, the ones with all those "spooky sound effects" on them? Do you any of you actually have those? Because I have a bunch. And my mom picked up another one, a CD, for me yesterday. It advertised having "The Scariest Movie Themes" on it, including Halloween, The Sixth Sense, The Omen, and Amityville Horror. It had those, but between each one was one of those spooky sound effects things.
They are so funny. Have you ever listened to one? They're so loud and overdone. The "spooky sound effects" sound more like there's a hurricane wind in a warehouse of creaking doors. And then the mixers throw in these random cat's meows and knives being sharpened and squishy noises. Plus there's the guy's voice, slowed down, yelling "I'M GOING TO GET YOU!" or "YOU MUST DIE!" that's so cheesy.Your reaction isn't fear, it's like "turn all that racket down, I'm trying to hold a conversation."
The guy who runs the haunted house I like to go to in Illinois, The Raven's Grin, has a wine cellar that he claims is haunted by a "Lady in White." This one time these three Marine guys offered to spend the night in the cellar. So they stayed there in pitch darkness, and the owner hid a tape recorder on the ceiling, so that the sound would echo from all parts of the room. The tape had absolute silence on it, except that every 20 minutes or so the tape would play this little indescribable "Er" sound that only lasted for half a second. If you can imagine that in a pitch dark room all night, and you don't know where it's coming from, it's pretty scary. Apparently the guys were screaming to be let out before midnight.
That would be my ideal scary sound effects tape. Actually, when I was a kid I used to make my own tapes that I'd play outside our house on Halloween. I'd take a Talkboy and record my bedroom door opening and closing, and whistle like the wind, and groan every once and a while. I had fun for hours doing this.
It suddenly occurs to me that my parents must've had a very weird time raising me.
They are so funny. Have you ever listened to one? They're so loud and overdone. The "spooky sound effects" sound more like there's a hurricane wind in a warehouse of creaking doors. And then the mixers throw in these random cat's meows and knives being sharpened and squishy noises. Plus there's the guy's voice, slowed down, yelling "I'M GOING TO GET YOU!" or "YOU MUST DIE!" that's so cheesy.Your reaction isn't fear, it's like "turn all that racket down, I'm trying to hold a conversation."
The guy who runs the haunted house I like to go to in Illinois, The Raven's Grin, has a wine cellar that he claims is haunted by a "Lady in White." This one time these three Marine guys offered to spend the night in the cellar. So they stayed there in pitch darkness, and the owner hid a tape recorder on the ceiling, so that the sound would echo from all parts of the room. The tape had absolute silence on it, except that every 20 minutes or so the tape would play this little indescribable "Er" sound that only lasted for half a second. If you can imagine that in a pitch dark room all night, and you don't know where it's coming from, it's pretty scary. Apparently the guys were screaming to be let out before midnight.
That would be my ideal scary sound effects tape. Actually, when I was a kid I used to make my own tapes that I'd play outside our house on Halloween. I'd take a Talkboy and record my bedroom door opening and closing, and whistle like the wind, and groan every once and a while. I had fun for hours doing this.
It suddenly occurs to me that my parents must've had a very weird time raising me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home