Saturday, September 28, 2002

So, I couldn't count how many times I was offered beer at Bowdoin this weekend. No, don't worry, I drank it, but I didn't swallow. No! No! Come on, this is Drew Dir's blog your reading.

I went on my first Beer Run, though. My host Phil's friend Dan has a sister who's a junior there, and her boyfriend apparently supplies them with beer. So Dan rounded up a big Adidas sports bag and the three of us went to pick it up at the Tower, which is a high-rise junior dorm. On the way back, Phil and Dan had to carry the bag together because it was so heavy, totally conspicuously. The campus police don't care though... they actually work to keep you from getting caught.

So I was a little disappointed in that... I don't have a problem with alcohol in college, really, but at Bowdoin it seems to consume everybody's social lives. That's all everyone talks about is getting drunk. Schoolwork is basically stuff you have to get done before you get drunk. I realized that I might prefer the atmosphere of U of Chicago... I always flinch when I hear that the kids there have no social lives, but that's a relative term... since I don't really have a social life right now, UChicago would likely be a continuation of the status quo. And I'm fine with that. My idea of a good time is sitting with a group of friends, listening to music or watching a movie, talking over a pizza, and maybe playing some frisbee.

So... Bowdoin's knocked down the list some. I still wouldn't mind going there, but this helps with the decision-making a lot. I also heard that Williams is a big jock school in addition to being a big drinking school. Kapow. Meanwhile, I heard a lot of good stuff about Amherst. So here's the current ranking:

1. UChicago
2. Northwestern
3. Amherst
4. Yale, Bowdoin (tie)
5. Williams
6. UGA

Yeah, I'm gonna apply to UGA. Meanwhile, here are some good quotes from drunk Bowdoin students:


"Yeah, once I played MarioKart64 on 7 beers. That's proof right there that you should never drive drunk."
"No, sleep in that bed, it's ok, you're our GUEST... now I'm going to turn out the LIGHT.... because you can't sleep with the LIGHT ON... because....um....because the Smashing Pumpkins and Marilyn Manson are non-conformist, and that's why I like them.... turn the light off..."
"HIGH-FIVE FOR COLLEGE!"

High-five for college, indeed.

Here are some other random thoughts in the Hartsfield Airport:

-You know what I like to see when I arrive back at baggage claim in Atlanta? A big olympic park mural above the escalators with a smiling 10-ft. African child.
-Do you ever watch the luggage sliding out of the baggage claim contraption and personify the bags in your mind? Like how they're all sliding and running into each other, different ones saying like "Oof!," "Ow!," and "Watch out!" in these cartoony voices? Yeah, me neither.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home