Milestone: Today I'm 18.
I confess, I really like my birthday. I especiall like my birth-date. September 24. 9/24. It's got a certain symmetry or proportion to it, doesn't it? I mean, 9's a perfect square. And you can divide lotsa stuff into 24. Then my whole birthdate: September 24th, 1984. 9-24-84. It's one of those numbers, those things that are just a part of you, you know? Don't you get excited when you see your birthdate in math problems and stuff?
My family celebrated last night. We went to Rafter's Bar and Grille off Jones Bridge Rd., where I've been going for my birthday since the first grade. After that we had cookie cake at home, and I opened presents. Among other things I got the Smashing Pumpkins' Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, an Abbey Road poster, and a book about hobos (from my uncle). My parents are also going to take me to look at kayaks.
It was a nice night, but it was also very depressing. At Rafter's we kept talking about birthdays past, and my dad kept saying to himself "Gosh... 18...." My mom gave me a Charlie Brown card, like every year, and this really sad card with a little kid riding a trike and something like "never forget to come home" written on the inside. I can't believe this is my last birthday at home; I've always loved my birthday, and I can't imagine not spending it with my family at Rafter's next year.
I confess, I really like my birthday. I especiall like my birth-date. September 24. 9/24. It's got a certain symmetry or proportion to it, doesn't it? I mean, 9's a perfect square. And you can divide lotsa stuff into 24. Then my whole birthdate: September 24th, 1984. 9-24-84. It's one of those numbers, those things that are just a part of you, you know? Don't you get excited when you see your birthdate in math problems and stuff?
My family celebrated last night. We went to Rafter's Bar and Grille off Jones Bridge Rd., where I've been going for my birthday since the first grade. After that we had cookie cake at home, and I opened presents. Among other things I got the Smashing Pumpkins' Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, an Abbey Road poster, and a book about hobos (from my uncle). My parents are also going to take me to look at kayaks.
It was a nice night, but it was also very depressing. At Rafter's we kept talking about birthdays past, and my dad kept saying to himself "Gosh... 18...." My mom gave me a Charlie Brown card, like every year, and this really sad card with a little kid riding a trike and something like "never forget to come home" written on the inside. I can't believe this is my last birthday at home; I've always loved my birthday, and I can't imagine not spending it with my family at Rafter's next year.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home