Saturday, August 24, 2002

You know what's weird? I always feel sorry for movie villains. Like I was watching Gladiator today, and I thought that Commodus was somebody you could really empathize with. The whole thing about how he's "always wanted to be loved." Yeah, he kills people, but that just seems to be in there so we'd have a reason to hate him. And the whole thing with his sister... I can't really feel 'grossed out' by it because I know those 2 actors on screen aren't really siblings, sooo... I just end up feeling sorry for him because his sis doesn't love him. And I was sorry that he died in the end, because he was so unhappy. I mean, in a way, Maximus had already brought just revenge on him because he'd taken away his dignity: here's a guy that feels like nobody has ever really loved him, and now that he's become Emperor of Rome, he has a chance to turn all that around... until this gladiator guy comes in. Yeah, yeah, I know that he had his family killed. I simply can't hate a luckless guy who nobody likes anyway. It's not like he "learned his lesson" by getting stabbed.

Does anyone else feel this way? Sometimes I think it's because I have such weak character, like all these villains: maybe that means I'm villainous. I like to think of myself as being open-minded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home