Log Cabin Day
It's so funny how yearbooks work. They make any class look like a bunch of happy, confident, cool people. Whenever I flip through old yearbooks, everything in them looks so perfect. I guess it's because yearbooks document the school through rose-colored glass: they never show you the bad stuff. Still... if you're ever in the TAG office, look at the 1991-92 yearbook. I really wish that I had known this senior class.
There are so many clubs and school events from 1992 that don't exist today. The Poets' Society? AWAKE? Think of how different the school was when we were freshman! The problem with public high school is, it has no memory. We attend the oldest high school in 3 counties, but do we have any traditions? No, every year is just a recycling of kids, screwing up and making the same mistakes over again. Shouldn't we all have learned from generations of Milton students how to survive high school? It's really the responsibility of the teachers and the administration to perpetuate Milton tradition... you know, special dances or clean-up days or something, school events that can be repeated down through the ages, something that's uniquely Milton.
I think there might have been tradition in Milton, once. When I was a freshman, all the seniors I met in marching band were really big into tradition. It seemed like they all had several brothers or sisters who had attended Milton decades before. They were always upset about Mr. Tesch (who was relatively new then) or Mr. Coleman for erasing the past and screwing tradition.
But just think of all the stories this school has! And we don't know any of them!
I think it would be cool if the TAG department offered a course on the history of Milton. Wouldn't that be cool? I mean, did anyone ever TELL us when we were freshman what the log cabin was? It's like it doesn't even exist, you know? The administration never refers to it. Shouldn't we be having Log Cabin Day or something?
It's so funny how yearbooks work. They make any class look like a bunch of happy, confident, cool people. Whenever I flip through old yearbooks, everything in them looks so perfect. I guess it's because yearbooks document the school through rose-colored glass: they never show you the bad stuff. Still... if you're ever in the TAG office, look at the 1991-92 yearbook. I really wish that I had known this senior class.
There are so many clubs and school events from 1992 that don't exist today. The Poets' Society? AWAKE? Think of how different the school was when we were freshman! The problem with public high school is, it has no memory. We attend the oldest high school in 3 counties, but do we have any traditions? No, every year is just a recycling of kids, screwing up and making the same mistakes over again. Shouldn't we all have learned from generations of Milton students how to survive high school? It's really the responsibility of the teachers and the administration to perpetuate Milton tradition... you know, special dances or clean-up days or something, school events that can be repeated down through the ages, something that's uniquely Milton.
I think there might have been tradition in Milton, once. When I was a freshman, all the seniors I met in marching band were really big into tradition. It seemed like they all had several brothers or sisters who had attended Milton decades before. They were always upset about Mr. Tesch (who was relatively new then) or Mr. Coleman for erasing the past and screwing tradition.
But just think of all the stories this school has! And we don't know any of them!
I think it would be cool if the TAG department offered a course on the history of Milton. Wouldn't that be cool? I mean, did anyone ever TELL us when we were freshman what the log cabin was? It's like it doesn't even exist, you know? The administration never refers to it. Shouldn't we be having Log Cabin Day or something?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home